Ann shares her story with Fifty Five Plus and tells how a health shock made her take stock of her life and change her diet and attitude to food. Photograph Below Is Ann at 49 and the later one is aged 55.
Just before the age of 49 I had a medical through work and although I knew that I was carrying more weight than ever before I was not prepared for the shock the results gave me. You see I had been vegetarian since I was 15 and arrogantly thought that was enough to protect me. The extra 3 ½ stone that I was carrying showed up as high blood pressure and raised cholesterol levels none of which was evident from the outside. This meant that if I didn’t do something about it I would be likely to succumb to the same “Age Related” illnesses as the people who had lived mostly on take-away meals and pre-packaged microwave meals.
So I started on the dieting treadmill, yo-yoing up and down and feeling miserable until I came across a lifestyle change that really made the whole process both enjoyable and easy to do. If you are anything like me you hate to feel deprived in any way and that always leads to cheating so to find a way that really tastes great and allowed me to eat cake and chocolates was definitely a winner.
What I discovered is a combination of freshly made juices and smoothies and cutting out all wheat based foods anything with refined sugar in. I also discovered that all of the cheese that I was consuming was making my sinuses blocked so it seemed as if I had a perpetual cold so I cut that out too.
I now eat a mostly Raw Vegan diet though I do still eat some cooked foods as I know that my diet is much healthier than it used to be and that stressing over strict eating regimes can raise cortisol levels which can pile on the pounds too! I am now 57 and my weight is below 10 stone I have perfect blood pressure and cholesterol and the energy I have not having to carry around an extra 3 stone every-where I go means that I have an extra 4-5 hours every day to have fun.
I have written several booklets and articles that give the recipes that I have created to help people who are older and less likely to want to give up everything and live on rabbit food.
You can find them on http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/purpleann57atyahoodotcodotuk
They have titles like “Fabulous Cake, Decadent Desserts and Heart Healthy Chocolates” which contain just that, all made with the kind of equipment that you probably already own and a few new ingredients that you will be delighted to discover.
These are a couple of easy recipes that you can start with that will show you just how easy a change in lifestyle, that can make a massive difference in the way you feel, can be.
- 1 cup of black cherries (you can use frozen ones but please defrost them by standing them in a bowl standing in hot water. This is important otherwise when the melted coconut oil comes into contact with the frozen fruit it will re-solidify)
- 1 handful of cashew nuts
- 2 Tbs honey (or maple syrup or agave nectar), both available in most food shops
- 3 Tbs coconut butter/oil melted
- 2 Tbs coconut milk ( you can get this in tins, so choose the organic version)
- Using the blender blend the black cherries with the honey and the coconut milk until it is smooth
- Add the cashew nuts and blend again until smooth
- Add the melted coconut butter and blend till there are no lumps at all
- Pour or spoon into serving bowls and cover with cling film and put into the fridge to set.
(You can make a whole range of fruit mousses by changing the fruit, I make strawberry, raspberry, summer fruit, fruits of the forest, black forest fruits (frozen from a supermarket) mango, papaya, pineapple, nectarine or any other favourite soft fruit
If chocolate is your passion then there are ways of satisfying that without a heavy load of refined sugar.
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut butter melted
- Place the maple syrup and the melted coconut butter into a blender then add the cacao powder and blend till thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a shallow dish and put into the fridge for about 5 hours
- Take out of the fridge and using a teaspoon scoop out truffle sized bits and roll them into balls.
- Dip them in cacao powder or desiccated (unsweetened) coconut and return them to the fridge for keeping
So that you can see that being over 50 can bring a new lease of life and you do not need to be fobbed off with “It’s just your age, you’d better get used to it”. I thought that you might appreciate seeing how much extra weight I was carrying at 49 and what can be done through a change in lifestyle.
You can turn the clock back and if you would like some free information I have a news-letter at www.sparklingenergy.co.uk that will gently support you to make a transition to a healthier lifestyle with no more dieting. Curry with coconut rice
If I can do it you can too.
Ann has written 4 books. You can find them on Amazon or check lulu.com
Contact Ann Peckham (aka Purple Ann) email@example.com or www.sparklingenergy.co.uk mob: 07972131666